We all want easy, free-flowing journeys. However, with increasing amounts of traffic on our roads, it is not simply just about the time spent in your car traveling, it is also about the time you invest in planning your journey to try and avoid traffic congestion.
Before you go check your route using a road atlas, travel web sites or via Transport Direct at www.transportdirect.info and also remember to check the weather forecast at www.metoffice.gov.uk
- Plan your journey to allow for a 15 minute break every two hours.
- Make sure your vehicle is roadworthy and always carry a spare tyre which is correctly inflated and in good condition.
- Take emergency items to cope with very hot or very cold weather.
- Check you have enough fuel for your journey before you set off and make plans to refuel if necessary.
- Don’t start a long trip if you are already tired.
Additional travel information to help you plan your journey safely is available from a number of sources including: